legality of home recording

Gordon Ingram gordoning at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 10:14:52 UTC 2008

I'm no expert in IP law, but I have read a little bit about it
because I think it raises fascinating philosophical issues. It seems
to me that the distribution of incidental music (or even children's
renditions of songs) on a database such as CHILDES would be a
textbook example of fair use, since "educational purpose" is one of
the most frequently cited examples of fair use.

Even in the case to which you refer, where the recording of the baby
dancing (while very cute!) has little or no educational value, fair
use is not in question: all parties agree that the recording is
legal. That's why it can be linked to from the CNET story! The point
at issue is who has responsibility for assessing whether a particular
recording constitutes fair use. The plaintiff and the EFF are
claiming that this is the responsibility of the copyright holder, and
hence that she is entitled to damages because the takedown notice was
issued by the copyright holders in bad faith, knowing that it was
fair use.  The copyright holders claim that the existing appeals
mechanism to reinstate fair-use recordings is sufficient protection
against the occasional mistaken takedown notice. The judge agrees
that the copyright holder should try to determine whether recordings
are fair use before issuing a takedown notice, but doubts that they
were acting in bad faith.

So this case would only really be relevant if a copyright holder were
to issue a takedown notice against something in CHILDES. Hopefully
that is not going to happen!

Best regards,
Gordon

Gordon Ingram