Question on bilingual language acquisition from non-native speaker

Alcock, Katie k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Dec 10 20:55:06 UTC 2008

Well, for many "dead" or "dying" languages this is the only way for them
to become "alive" again - isn't this how modern Hebrew became a native
language again?

I know there are also a fair number of native-English Welsh learners who
use Welsh with their children, and the same must be true of other
European minority languages. And of course native users of spoken
language who find they have a deaf child and want to sign with them as
their main home language must do this too.  And in many such families
only one parent is keen on using their non-native language, I would
imagine.

In both the hearing parent/deaf child and the European minority language
scenarios it is fairly likely the child will be going to a school or
nursery where at least some of the parent's non-native language is used.

Katie Alcock

> There is a group in New York whose members are speaking Irish with
> their
> children, despite the parents being non-native speakers.  There was a
> short
> talk on this:
> http://web.gc.cuny.edu/dept/lingu/rislus/events/RISLUSForum2006.html
> See Thomas Ihde at 11:35.  Perhaps he has published something since
> then?

-----

Dr. Katie Alcock
Lecturer, Department of Psychology
Lancaster University, UK

Currently Visiting Scholar at
Center for Research in Language, University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Dept. 0526
La Jolla, CA 92093-0526, USA
Tel: +1-858-822-1506
Fax: +1-858-822-5097