Question on bilingual language acquisition from non-native speaker

marilyn vihman mv509 at york.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 10:55:47 UTC 2008

Dear Kristin,

The bottom line is, if this is something you and your partner want to
do, there is certainly no harm in it! the worst that can happen is
that your child does NOT end up being a fluent English speaker, while
the best outcome is that he does! There is no evidence that 'child-
directed speech' is really necessary, in the sense of using baby talk
words etc, or songs and rhymes: I never knew much of that in Estonian,
but successfully raised two children with that language anyway. (I'm
sure that I must have used other CDS characteristics, i.e., slower
speech rate, shorter sentences: That is so natural and automatic, and
no training or even experience with that register is needed to use it,
as Fernald and others have shown.) My Estonian was accented and not
perfectly grammatical - and my children, who had few native-speaker
models, although their dad, who spent a lot of time with them, was
one, both developed less than perfectly native grammar. What was
missing was a community of Estonian speakers, other children, etc:
Estonia was far and not easily accessible in those days, so we visited
only every 5 years or so, and briefly. In contrast, my own parents
raised me speaking English, though both were native French speakers
with very noticeable accents - but I grew up in California and no one
would say I don't sound American.

So - lots of factors enter in, and the cognitive advantages only
obtain for long-term knowledge and use of 2 languages, as far as
anyone knows, but given your passion for English, why not use it and
see how it goes? My daughter, living with her Estonian husband in
Estonia now, has turned the tables and is fairly consistently using
English with my granddaughter - who, however, refuses to use much
English - at age 2 - and replies to her mother almost always in
Estonian...the language her father uses and that of the community
around her. Clearly community is important - trips to places where the
child can hear the language from everyone around her - and the child's
personality, linguistic bent etc is another imponderable. But there is
no conceivable harm in trying!

with my good wishes,

marilyn