Ph.D. Studentship Position

Jessica Horst JessicaAtSussex at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:12:02 UTC 2008

DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX
FUNDED DPhil PLACES FOR OCTOBER 2008

The Department of Psychology at the University of Sussex invites
applications for a number of DPhil studentships to start in October
2008. In particular, we offer one ESRC quota studentship (either as
1+3 or as +3 to candidates with an ESRC-recognised Masters
qualification), one BBSRC quota studentship, and up to five University-
funded graduate teaching assistantships.

We welcome applications from outstanding candidates with, or expecting
to obtain, a good degree in Psychology or a closely related
discipline. Candidates may apply to work on a project that falls
within the research interests of any member of faculty (see
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/psychology/1-4.html and the links to our four
research groups from that page). We particularly encourage
applications to work on the specific project outlined below.

Child Word Learning Study (Supervisor: Dr Jessica Horst -
jessica at sussex.ac.uk)
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship to work on a word
learning project with Dr. Jessica Horst. This study aims to examine
young children's remarkable ability to learn words quickly and
apparently effortlessly. Specifically, we will investigate young
children's word learning, focusing on their early noun vocabulary.
Several developmental methodologies will be used to explore what
children learn from the very first time they are exposed to a new word
and the object that it names. We will also study how the word learning
context influences children's abilities to remember newly learned
words. The student will receive training in various developmental
research methods and conduct research with children ages 1-4 years.
Applicants with a strong interest in cognitive development or language
acquisition are encouraged to apply.
See also: http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/research/wordlab/index.html

The Department:
The Department of Psychology was created in 2003 as part of a major
reorganisation of the University. However, Sussex has a strong
tradition of research in Psychology and the majority of the staff who
formed the new department was in 5-rated groups in the 2001 Research
Assessment Exercise. Since its formation, the department has expanded
considerably both in faculty numbers and in the facilities available
to us. In particular, we have well-equipped labs for carrying out
research in all our main areas of interest, and links with local
schools and hospitals that greatly facilitate research, for example,
on cognitive development and cognitive neuroscience. Labs include
those for research in cognition, developmental psychology, feeding and
drinking, fMRI and PET (in the new Clinical Imaging Sciences Centre),
human psychophysiology (EEG, GSR, TMS, eyetracking), psychoacoustics,
psychopharmacology, social psychology, and vision.

At any time we have 50 or more students studying for research degrees.
They come from a wide variety of backgrounds and countries and make a
major contribution to the life of the Department. The mutual support
provide by members of this group creates an excellent environment for
students to carry out their doctoral projects. Research students have
a desk in a shared office, a desktop computer with internet access,
and funds and technical support for research.

Eligibility:
Standard Research Council eligibility requirements apply to ESRC and
BBSRC studentships, and projects funded by these research councils
must fall within their respective remits. University GTAs cover
stipend and Home/EU fees. Overseas students can apply, but will have
to pay additional fees. They may apply for an ORSAS grant to cover
these additional fees. The closing date for ORSAS applications is
February 28th. Candidates intending to apply for ORSAS funding should
contact the department as soon as possible, and well before the
February 28th deadline.

Application Process:
All applicants are strongly advised to contact their prospective
supervisors before preparing and submitting an application. Those not
applying for one of the projects outlined below will be expected to
provide a research outline of up to two sides of single-spaced A4.

For details of how to apply see http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/publications/pgrad2008/applying.
The closing date for candidates wishing to be considered for funding
is March 31st 2008 (ORSAS deadline earlier, see above). Please state
in your application if you are applying to work on one of the
specified projects.

For general queries please contact either psychgrad at sussex.ac.uk
<mailto:psygrad at sussex.ac.uk> or the Psychology Postgraduate Research
Admissions Tutor, Prof. Alan Garnham (A.Garnham at sussex.ac.uk)