PhonBank corpora

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 8 14:42:33 UTC 2008

Dear Info-CHILDES,

    For people interested in child phonology, it may be useful to note
that there is now a separate directory within the CHILDES database for
corpora that have been full transcribed phonologically.  This folder
is called PhonBank.  These files were contributed by Sophie Kern and
Babs Davis and were originally in LIPP format which we then converted
to CHAT.  Our plan is to continue to work on these files so that they
can take advantage of the growing compatibility between the CLAN and
PHON programs.  So, the versions that you find in this part of the
database will be undergoing ongoing reformatting.  Four other corpora
also have extensive phonological coding.  These are Carterette,
Cruttenden, Providence, and Lyon.  However, because these corpora
include full interactions and dialog, we are leaving them in the
respective main language areas (Eng-UK, Eng-USA, and French).
    If any of you have LIPP data that you would like to have converted
to CHAT, now would be a great time.

--Brian MacWhinney