LENA

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Feb 11 22:09:56 UTC 2008

Dear Kim,
    This is very helpful.  This level of functionality for LENA is
similar to
that reached in the  BlitzScribe program developed at the MIT
Media Lab. Unlike BlitzScribe, however, it appears that LENA is
ready for deployment by end users outside of a complex operating
system environment.  And the output of .cha files is a big plus.

   If you take a look at the goals for the CHILDES project renewal,
you will see that the inclusion in CLAN of methods for locating
segments to
be transcribed is a major goal.  Whether it be through the LENA tools,
the MIT
tools, or something new but similar, I certainly agree that there is a
pressing need to extend
current CLAN transcription to include a first-pass pre-linkage that
can then
serve as the basis for a first-pass transcription.

-- Brian MacWhinney