Postdoctoral Position - Stanford University

Anne Fernald afernald at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 15 17:00:56 UTC 2008

Postdoctoral Position in Developmental Psycholinguistics

Postdoctoral position available in the Department of Psychology at
Stanford University working in the research group led by Dr. Anne
Fernald.  Our research program includes several different projects
funded by grants from NICHD and NIDCD, all focusing on the early
development of spoken language understanding.  We seek an outstanding
young scientist interested in pursuing the following opportunities:

• gain expertise in sophisticated data-analytic techniques using real-
time speech processing measures with very young language learners;

• investigate how phonological, grammatical, and semantic properties
of language influence children’s online interpretation of speech from
moment to moment;

• conduct experimental studies with infants and young children
learning English or Spanish as their first language, and/or with
Spanish/English bilingual children;

•  do observational research on parent-child interactions at our main
lab on campus and/or at our community lab in East Palo Alto, where we
are working with hundreds of Latino families who are recent
immigrants to the U.S.;

•  develop new experimental tasks for assessing speech processing
efficiency in English- and Spanish-learning children at risk for
language disorders;

•  join a dynamic, interactive, and productive research team
exploring early language learning in diverse populations, while
participating in the vibrant cognitive science community at Stanford
University.

Candidates must have completed a PhD and have a strong background in
cognitive science, developmental psychology, psycholinguistics, or a
related area. This position can start in Summer 2008 or sooner;
salary commensurate NIH guidelines.  Applicants should send a CV with
a letter describing graduate training and research interests, and
arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to: Prof. Anne
Fernald, Dept. Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305.
Electronic applications can be sent to afernald at stanford.edu. Review
of applications begins on March 1st, continuing until position is
filled.  Website: http://babylab.stanford.edu.

Anne Fernald, Ph.D.
Dept Psychology and
    Program in Human Biology