you won't believe this

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Fri Feb 29 00:57:54 UTC 2008

Dear Kathy---
    I think the goal of having an impact on how knowledge is presented in
the media is an excellent one.  I'll suggest below how I think it might be
done, but some background on the article
might be helpful.
   I was cited very briefly in that article with an incredibly simple-minded
sentence.   The author is someone with a general interest in science and a
very young child.  That is the source of
his interest.   I spoke to him for over an hour----and said that I was
really not familiar with the instrument---but that any effort to assess
children should pay attention to how children show
kowledge of the actual structure of the language---and referred him to the
DELV which Harry Seymour, Jill deVilliers and I developed---and told him how
simple sentences like
"who ate what" can use very simple sentences to approach core features of
grammar.  I also sent him chapters and a copy of my book "The Prism of
Grammar"---hoped he might mention it, since
it is simple enough for parents to use and has been very well received.
   All of this I mention because it shows that the media often comes with a
pre-set idea of what they want to hear you say and what scope they will give
to it.  Therefore the way we might be
successful in reaching the public is in seeking to write articles
ourselves---perhaps with many authors who have legitimacy---in places like
Parents' magazine and places where one can
explain with simplicity how to think about their children and the tests that
they take.  I suspect it will not work by trying to persuade existing
journalists what you want them to say.

    The issue is much broader actually, as any of you familiar with the
legal wrangles over Larry P and evidence-based evaluation, already knows.
We also need to have more straightforward
evaluation of what goes to the public.  Parent magazines approve toys and
other things.  The FDA approves drugs----though often the science is very
ambiguous---but at an ASHA convention
all products seems equal.  It seems to me that outsiders should be able to
offer the public products that may not be subject to independent evaluation,
just like patients seek the right
to have experimental drugs.  But a more systematic method of evaluating
assessment products----and an effort to explain it simply through media
directed at the parents and public
would be a good idea.    We will need to write it ourselves.

That's how it looks to me, best, Tom

 This came after I discussed the matter with the author for over an

--
Tom Roeper
Dept of Lingiustics