teaching position at San Francisco State University

Carolyn cchaney at sfsu.edu
Fri Jan 4 01:51:58 UTC 2008

We are seeking a PhD or A.B.D. with teaching experience who can teach
one or two sections of our conversation analysis  course. Our semester
begins on January 24, 2008:
COMM 563.01     T/TH     10:10-11:50 a.m.
COMM 563.02     Tues.       6:10-9:50 p.m.

The course description is: "Examination of research findings on
conversations, including the study of such topics as: pragmatic rules,
power, manipulation, topic management, politeness, emotional
discourse, rituals, and storytelling. Methods for collecting,
transcribing, and analyzing naturally occurring conversations." The
course meets a breadth requirement for Communication Studies majors in
the area of Language & Social Interaction. The instructor must keep
one office hour per week (two hours per week if teaching two
sections).

The salary will be approximately $6000 for each section (if the
teacher holds the PhD; slightly less for A.B.D.). Salary is paid over
six monthly installments.

Interested applicants should contact Dr. Gerianne Merrigan, Department
Chair, Communication Studies Dept./SFSU, either by telephone
(415-338-2429) or email (merrigan at sfsu.edu).