Videos/Films about Bilingual Language Development or Language use?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 21:03:49 UTC 2008

Susan, Lynn, and everyone,

    Is ChatterMatters about code-switching and bilingualism or L1
acquisition?
Regarding L1 acquisition in general, let me remind people that, about
two years ago, we (mutually) devised
a list of suggested films at the sixth point at  http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/teach/index.html
None of these deal with bilingualism, although about 3 deal partially
with second language learning.  Many deal with deafness.

It would be great to add to this list, but please take a peak at what
we have already
located and let's try to expand this list.  Also, I could try to
organize it a bit better perhaps.

My personal favorite for multilingualism  is "The Cuckoo" which deals
with Finnish, Russian, Saami
mutual understanding and radical misunderstanding in World War II in
Finland.
It seems to me there are some Indian films that deal with
multilingualism, but
usually as a side issue in the larger plot.  In fact, it is hard to
think of an Indian movie
that doesn't have code-switching as an issue at some point.  Can't
think now of the titles.

In regard to the broader issue, there must be documentaries available
somehow.

-- Brian MacWhinney