Searching for a book for very new students of child language

Ken Reeder ken.reeder at ubc.ca
Wed May 7 21:08:13 UTC 2008

I've been given a nice opportunity to develop a hybrid course at UBC
at freshman or sophomore (1st/2nd yr) level entitled "Child Language
Development." What is particularly interesting (for me at any rate) is
that my students will be child care workers with minimal educational
background, and that they are all working with aboriginal preschool
children in British Columbia's southern interior. I'm searching for
good introductory and short books in two (perhaps overlapping) areas:
first language acquisition, and heritage language maintenance/
bilingualism. While the latter will probably be handled by way of
Multilingual Matters' fine materials, I'm still searching for just the
right title in first language acquisition. I'd like it to be a highly
readable translation of our best current understandings in the field
and manageable for these students. A tall order? Any suggestions?

Glad to summarize your responses here if this fine discussion tool
doesn't already do so. Thanks, all.