Second Call for Papers - RASCAL Conference 2009

C Cannizzaro c.l.cannizzaro at rug.nl
Fri Sep 5 15:01:54 UTC 2008

2nd Call for papers for Relating Asymmetries between Speech &
Comprehension in the Acquisition of Language (RASCAL) Conference

University of Groningen, the Netherlands
January 24th & January 25th, 2009

DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 22, 2008

Background:
In the past decades, research on language acquisition has identified
several asymmetries between production and comprehension in various
languages and in various components of the grammar (e.g., with respect
to word order, referring expressions such as pronouns, tense/aspect,
and contrastive stress). Many of these asymmetries came as a surprise
to their investigators, because no asymmetries are expected under the
traditional view of the grammar as a direction-insensitive system of
rules.  The aim of this conference is to bring together empirical and
theoretical research addressing symmetries and asymmetries in language
production and comprehension.

Important questions that we hope to address at the conference are: Are
production/comprehension asymmetries purely pragmatic phenomena, or do
they arise in all modules of the grammar? If one language displays a
particular asymmetry, do we find the same asymmetry in other
languages? At what ages do we find such asymmetries and at what age do
these asymmetries gen-erally disappear? Is it methodologically valid
to compare performance in production with performance in
comprehension? What is the relation between production/com-prehension
asymmetries and general cognitive measures such as working memory
capacity and Theory of Mind abilities?

Invited speakers:
Lila Gleitman, University of Pennsylvania
Helen Tager-Flusberg, Boston University

Panel Discussion:
“Asymmetries in Child Language: Where do they come from?”

We welcome contributions related to the following fields:
- Linguistic Theory
- First language acquisition
- Second language acquisition
- Bilingualism
- Language Disorders
- Cognition & Language
- Psycholinguistics
- Semantics
- Syntax
- Pragmatics
- Discourse & Narrative

The topics to be addressed include, but are not limited to:
- Symmetries and asymmetries in language comprehension and production
- The relation between production and comprehension and the role of
grammar therein
- Methodological problems in comparing performance in comprehension
with performance in production
- Asymmetries between comprehension and production in language
disorders

Abstracts:
Abstracts are invited for 30 minute talks (with 15 minutes for
discussion), as well as poster presentations. The conference language
is English.

Submissions should include:
- A cover page with the title of the paper/poster, all authors’ names
and affiliations,and contact information of the 1st author (postal
address, email address, telephone). On the cover page, include 2-4 key
words relating to research fields and indicate whether you would like
your abstract to be considered for a poster, a paper, or both.
- A one-page abstract (single-spaced with at least size 11 font), with
an optional second page for examples, data and references.  No
identity properties of the author should be found on the abstract
page(s).

Cover page and abstract must be submitted electronically to
rascal at rug.nl, in PDF FORMAT.  Please title the email “Abstract
RASCAL”  +  the first author’s last name.  All authors will be invited
to submit their paper for a journal proceedings volume.

The deadline for abstract submission is September 22, 2008 and
notification of acceptance will be sent no later than October 27,
2008.

Further information is available on our website:
www.rug.nl/let/RASCAL2009
rascal at rug.nl

Co-located events:
LOT Winter School 2009

Organizers: Charlotte Koster, Sanne Kuijper, Gisi Cannizzaro, Petra
Hendriks