Research Assistant/Lab Coordinator, Harvard (Snedeker lab)

snedeker at wjh.harvard.edu snedeker at wjh.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 10 15:36:33 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

My lab is searching for two research assistants for next year.  One
position would start in June.  The start date for the other is
flexible.

Our ideal applicant:
    *  has an undergraduate degree in psychology, linguistics or
cognitive science
    *  has a strong interest in the psychology of language
    *  is equally comfortable with toddlers and tech manuals

The two research assistants would split responsibility for
coordinating our lab (training undergraduate assistants, managing the
summer internship program, maintaining equipment, coordinating the use
of space, organizing meetings, handling financial paperwork etc).
Both would also conduct research.

One position focuses on moment-to-moment language comprehension in
typically-developing children and children with autism spectrum
disorders.  The second focuses on language development in children who
are internationally adopted.

Skills that would be put to good use include:
    *  Knowledge of Russian or Mandarin Chinese
    *  Experience with CHILDES and corpus analyses
    *  Knowledge of ToBI prosodic coding
    *  Experience with tobii eye-trackers
    *  Coursework in semantics, pragmatics or syntax
    *  Experience with kids on the autism spectrum
    *  A sense of humor
    *  Infinite patience
    *  Experience with E-prime
    *  Knowledge of ERP
    *  Ability to multitask

Our lab is embedded in larger communities both within Harvard and in
the wider Boston area, which offer rich resources for students
interested in developmental psychology, psycholinguistics, and
linguistics.  Research assistants are encouraged to make use of these
resources.

Potential applicants should email me:  a letter of interest, a CV, and
three references (email addresses and phone numbers, please).  Please
feel free to write with questions as well.

Jesse Snedeker