Acquisition of moral language

Gordon Ingram gordoning at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:01:15 UTC 2009

Hi Andrea,

There is obviously a wealth of literature out there on the acquisition
of morality. Not sure how much the student has looked at so far, but a
good place to start might be one of the handbooks of moral development,
e.g.:

Killen, M., & Smetana, J. G. (Eds.). (2006). /Handbook of moral
development/. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Being a philosopher he may already be familiar with the work of Shaun
Nichols, who included a really well-written and accessible review of the
literature on moral development as part of his theory of normative
evolution:

Nichols, S. (2004). /Sentimental rules: On the natural foundations of
moral judgment/. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

 From the standpoint of the development of everyday moral discourse, I
think not so much has been done, but there was recently a nice little
study using the CHILDES corpus:

Wright, J. C., & Bartsch, K. (2008). Portraits of early moral
sensibility in two children's everyday conversations./ Merrill-Palmer
Quarterly, //54/, 56-85.

Two experimental studies that may be relevant are Harris and Núñez
(1996), who showed that 3-4-year-old children were better at identifying
violations of permission rules than violations of description rules, and
Rakoczy, Warneken and Tomasello (2008), who showed that 2-3-year-old
children were quite ready to make normative protests about violations of
novel rules for made-up games (e.g., "daxing") that they had only just
been taught:

Harris, P. L., & Núñez, M. (1996). Understanding of permission rules by
preschool children./ Child Development, //67/, 1572-1591.

Rakoczy, H., Warneken, F., & Tomasello, M. (2008). The sources of
normativity: Young children's awareness of the normative structure of
games./ Developmental Psychology, //44/, 875-881.

Hope this helps somewhat, and apologies for the randomness of this
selection: it is mostly stuff I cited while writing a paper that I just
spent the last few days finishing off (which is why I couldn't reply
earlier). I can also send you that paper if it would be of interest - it
is on young children's everyday reports of norm violations by peers in
preschool settings.

Best regards,
Gordon

Gordon Ingram