Fwd: Re: Pace of early language development

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 11 17:50:11 UTC 2009

This is certainly a rich and varied exchange of
ideas! Does it seem to anyone else to be a thought experiment?

The goal of my research over the past 30+ years
has been to devise observational approaches to
predicting (even by a few months) when a child
would shift into single word referential
language. In a longitudinal study of the first
three years, among 10 middle class normally
developing children the range of onset was 14
months to 27 months of age. I did find that a set
of measures including development of mental
representation measured in play, use of vocal
motor schemes (consonants used consistently
across several months) and (surprisingly)
communication by "grunts" together predicted this
transition. These results were published in bits
over the years and recently brought together in a
book from Oxford U. Press "How children learn to
learn language". In addition to differences in
rate of development, these children also differed
in breadth of skill at each phase.

Given this variability in a group from a fairly
coherent cultural group, I fail to see how we
could ever know whether children were developing
language "faster" over the decades. This also
recalls Piaget's comment regarding whether
cognition could be speeded up. He called this "the American question"!

Fun as a thought experiment, but hard to expect
an answer. We still do not really know how and
why language develops as it does.

Lorraine McCune

>Subject: Re: Pace of early language development
>To: info-childes at googlegroups.com
>Sender: info-childes at googlegroups.com
>

>It's slightly more complicated than
>that.     You also have to consider whether
>more of today's kids attend daycare, which adds both a big peer group and an
>interestingly diverse (often first language
>non-English) set of adults for kids to
>interact with.     That could be a plus or a minus, but it can't be ignored.
>
>The age of the mother and whether a father is around could also be a
>factor.   Both have changed over time, and both vary across the US and
>across demographic groups.    It's easy to see how the child of a single
>16-year-old might get different input than the child of a married 30-year
>old, even if all else is the same.
>
>A quick glance at a map of US birth rates suggests that the lower numbers
>of siblings tend to be in the areas of the US with higher school test scores.
>This makes me wonder how help those extra siblings are really providing.
>
>Margaret Fleck

Lorraine McCune, EdD
Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901