Novel Word Learning- Article Search

Simone Bol S.Bol at mmu.ac.uk
Mon Dec 21 10:27:39 UTC 2009

It's not very recent, but seems to get close to your age group and methodology, so may be of interest:

''Child meets word: fast mapping in preschool children'' by Chris Dollaghan in the Journal of Speech and Hearing Research 1985
(vol.28:449-454)

Good luck with the study,
Simone

Simone Bol
Senior Lecturer
Speech Pathology Programme
Manchester Metropolitan University
Elizabeth Gaskell Campus
Hathersage Road
Manchester M13 0JA

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you
should read the Manchester Metropolitan University's email
disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "

>>> Jen Menjivar <jen.menjivar at gmail.com> 12/21/2009 7:01 am >>>
Hello,

I am designing a study in which we will be teaching children a set of novel words in a foreign language, and subsequently testing
them on their ability to remember the objects they were paired with. I have been looking for studies in which children (preschool
aged- 3 and 4 year olds) have been directly taught novel word and object pairs and tested in the same session. In my search, I
have found many studies in which children have been taught the object-novel word pairs through naturalistic interactions (i.e,
Gershkoff-Stowe & Hahn, 2007), but have not had much luck finding any studies in which the children are directly and explicitly
taught novel labels for objects. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction that I'm looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---
Jennifer Menjivar
Psychology Graduate Student
University of California, Santa Cruz

--You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Info-CHILDES" group.