research on test questions

Katie Alcock k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 17:40:08 UTC 2009

There's quite a lot of work on question form in cognitive development work -
it has been investigated more closely I suspect than in language development
work.

See for example

Pratt, C. (1990). On asking children--and adults--bizarre questions. First
Language, 10(29, Pt 2), 167-175.
Pratt, C. (1988). The child's conception of the conservation task. British
Journal of Developmental Psychology, 6(2), 157-167.

As well as this memorably titled article in The Psychologist (which is no
doubt why it sprang to my mind!)

http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm?volumeID=14&editi
onID=72&ArticleID=298