Using language transcripts to identify maternal responsiveness

marilyn vihman mv509 at york.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 21:04:47 UTC 2009

There were some interesting papers on just this topic in the early
80s, in JCh.Lg., by - I think - Linda Maldorado or McDonald...The name
isn't quite right, and I think she changed names between the two
studies anyway...We ran several analyses on our transcripts of 1- and
3-yr-old children at the Stanford Child Phonology Project at that
time, using the coding scheme from those papers, but the data were
lost at one point and we never published them. The gist of our
findings was that the more directive mothers' children (at age 1) were
less talkative (shorter turns at talk) at age 3...but (a) does this
matter? and (b) the causal arrow might go the opposite way: Mothers of
children who were quite talkative did not have to do much directing
while we observers from Stanford made recordings every week...

Anyway, Linda's coding scheme seemed great to us at the time (I am
away from my home base at the moment and so can't go look up the
journals on the shelf...)

-marilyn

On 9 Jul 2009, at 13:52, sara schmitt wrote:

> Dear Colleague,
>
> I am interested in using language transcripts to identify whether
> mothers are redirecting or following their child's language/focus.  Do
> you have any suggestions on how to proceed with this or which papers
> are relevant to this topic?
>
> Thank you,
> Sara Schmitt

Marilyn VIhman
Professor, Language and Linguistic Science
V/C/210, 2nd Floor, Block C, Vanbrugh College
University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
tel 01904 433612