Rationalism vs. Empiricism re Language Acquisition

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Thu Jul 16 13:12:18 UTC 2009

Christina---
  I am not sure you are posing the question the right way.  Here is what
Chomsky has said to me: there are no completely empiricist theories
because everyone has to assume some kind of innate structure for
the reception of data.  The question is only how much and how far
it could be specifically for language.  Recently Chomsky has
emphasized the notion of interfaces which means that the
relation is complex but specified.  I enclose a recent paper of
mine that distinguishes between interfaces and interactions that
might be helpful.

Tom Roeper

--
Tom Roeper