Using language transcripts to identify maternal responsiveness

Anne Warlaumont anne.warlaumont at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:35:45 UTC 2009

Dear Sarah,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Recently, Rick Dale and Michael Spivey too are
attempting to quantify the leading and following between speakers. Their
approach uses cross-recurrence quantification analysis, which they consider
a type of dynamical systems approach. It can be done on data taken from
transcripts, such as words or grammatical constructions. If you're
interested, you might consult the following paper:

Dale, R. & Spivey, M.J. (2006). Unraveling the dyad: Using recurrence
analysis to explore patterns of syntactic coordination between
children and caregivers in conversation. Language Learning, 56,
391-430.
http://cognaction.org/rick/pdfs/papers/dale_spivey_langlearn.pdf

Best,

Anne