Fwd: SLP and non-standard language varieties/non-native varieties?

isa barriere barriere.isa at gmail.com
Sat May 2 03:13:18 UTC 2009

Dear Info-childes,
It seems that my message was unclear so here is a more detailed explanation
of what I am looking for.

I have been looking for studies that investigate the effects of the possible
mismatch with respect to accent and/or language variety between a Speech
Langauge Pathologist and a client on the success of the SLP treatment.

I am aware that in the field of Early Intervention studies have shown that
an intervention is more effective when the therapist belongs to the same
cultural, ethnic etc group and I wonder if this were also the case in the
context of the treatment of older patient (children and adults) by SLP.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Isabelle Barriere, PhD