Novel Nominals in Child English

Sue Powers suzipow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:51:48 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

In 1998, I wrote a paper on English-speaking children's novel nominals
in which I discussed examples like those described by Gruber

"wash hands" = sink.  or    "daddy's read" = newspaper

I have noticed a recent proliferation of these in my own children.
My autistic son, who was language-delayed (he didn't speak until 20
mos),
had produced some of these between the ages of 3 and 4

"food house" = restaurant and "witch's ride"= broom

Now at age 7, he has produced the following in the last 2 months

"orange sky light" = the setting sun
"paris building" = the Eiffel tower
"cooking glove" = oven mitt

In addition, my 3-year old daughter recently said "baby napkin" for
bib.

Can someone point me to more literature on this type of construction?

Thanks,
Sue Powers
suzipow at alumni.neu.edu