one million mark

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Sat Apr 24 04:15:38 UTC 2010

Annick is (as ever) right.  Brian should receive some recognition that
goes beyond our heartfelt thanks.  He should receive an official award,
prize, something, that will have lasting value and that will indicate to
the world that he has made a great contribution to our field.  I think
APA has a variety of similar awards that he could be a candidate for ,
but probably most of the members of info-childes are not APA members.
Here's one possibility:

How about if we encourage IASCL to establish an award for outstanding
contributions to the field of language acquisition.  We name it the
Brian MacWhinney Award and Brian is the first recipient and gets the
prize (medal, plaque, cheque, box of chocolates, whatever) at the
Montreal meeting.  The IASCL will be asked to have a committee that
thereafter will receive and evaluate nominations, and every 3 years
thereafter some other deserving soul will receive the IASCL Brian
MacWhinney Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of Language
Acquisition.

Something like that.   Don't all volunteer at once.    Since it is
discussion and not planning I'm not trying to hide anything from Brian.

jean

Jean Berko Gleason, Professor Emerita
Department of Psychology
Boston University