Digest for info-childes at googlegroups.com - 5 Messages in 3 Topics

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 24 14:34:34 UTC 2010

I also second Jean's proposal!
What do we do to make it happen?

On Apr 24, 2010, at 6:43 AM, info-childes+noreply at googlegroups.com
wrote:

>   Today's Topic Summary
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/topics
>
> one million mark [3 Updates]
> Type Token Ratio and Mean Length of Utterance in Modern Greek [1
> Update]
> Compiling Unix-CLAN? [1 Update]
>  Topic: one million mark
> Jean Berko Gleason <gleason at bu.edu> Apr 24 12:15AM -0400 ^
>
> Annick is (as ever) right. Brian should receive some recognition that
> goes beyond our heartfelt thanks. He should receive an official award,
> prize, something, that will have lasting value and that will
> indicate to
> the world that he has made a great contribution to our field. I think
> APA has a variety of similar awards that he could be a candidate for ,
> but probably most of the members of info-childes are not APA members.
> Here's one possibility:
>
> How about if we encourage IASCL to establish an award for outstanding
> contributions to the field of language acquisition. We name it the
> Brian MacWhinney Award and Brian is the first recipient and gets the
> prize (medal, plaque, cheque, box of chocolates, whatever) at the
> Montreal meeting. The IASCL will be asked to have a committee that
> thereafter will receive and evaluate nominations, and every 3 years
> thereafter some other deserving soul will receive the IASCL Brian
> MacWhinney Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of
> Language
> Acquisition.
>
> Something like that. Don't all volunteer at once. Since it is
> discussion and not planning I'm not trying to hide anything from
> Brian.
>

> jean
>
> Jean Berko Gleason, Professor Emerita
> Department of Psychology
> Boston University
>
> http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/gleason/
>

> Annick De Houwer wrote:

> .
>
> "Philip Dale" <dalep at unm.edu> Apr 23 10:25PM -0600 ^
>
> Jean’s idea is a terrific one. I really like the idea of an award
> not so
> much for individual theoretical and empirical contributions to the
> field,
> important as they are, but for doing something that enables the wider
> language development community to work more effectively.
>
> Philip
>

> _____

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
home page:	  http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder