one million mark

Laura Morett lmorett at ucsc.edu
Sun Apr 25 02:25:11 UTC 2010

May I also point out that Brian has served not only the field of
language acquisition research through the creation and maintenance of
CHILDES, but also the disciplines of psychology and linguistics
through the development of PsyScope and STEP.  All of these resources
have been invaluable to me as a member of a program with very little
money and very few resources.  Thank you, Brian, for having the vision
to create these resources, which have not only advanced research
tremendously, but have also helped to unify its practitioners.

I agree that the creation of a special award to recognize
contributions to the field--in the sense of service rather than
individual research accomplishments--is a wonderful idea.  Although I
have little experience in these types of matters, as I am only a
student, I would suggest that someone--perhaps the suggestor of the
idea--take the initiative to approach the members of the IASCL board
with this idea.  My guess is that they would be happy to explain what
would need to happen for the idea to become a reality and to help out,
and then those who are interested in making it happen can go from
there.

Regards,
Laura Morett