Internal state language

Martha Shiro shiromartha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 16:42:36 UTC 2010

Dear Christine,
Eliciting narrative discourse has proved very useful for studying internal state language. I found that uses of this type of (evaluative) language differ in personal experience and fictional narratives. I used four types of prompts which have worked quite well. You will find a description in
Shiro, Martha. 2003. Genre and evaluation in narrative development. Journal of Child Language, 30, 1, 165-194.

Hope you find it helpful,

regards,
Martha Shiro

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Christine Wing wrote:

> My dissertation project is an investigation of the relationship between use of internal state language and behavior problems in 3-5- year-old children who are at social risk. I am looking for stimulus materials to elicit internal state words (Bretherton & Beeghley, 1982). These words are categorized as perceptual (e.g., see, hear), volition and ability (e.g., want, need), cognition (e.g., think, know) and moral judgement and obligation (e.g., good, naughty).  Most recent studies have focused on a subset of such words that includes categories of desire, cognition, affect, and moral judgement. These are referred to as mental state language (e.g., Bartsch & Wellman, 1995). I would very much appreciate input on elicitation techniques and stimulus materials. These may include scenarios, videos, stories, pictures, etc.
> I look forward to your responses.
>
> Christine A. Wing, MA, MS, CCC, SLP
> Doctoral Candidate'
> Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences