Intelligibility of children's speech

Mats Andrén mats.andren at ling.lu.se
Wed Feb 3 20:41:53 UTC 2010

Dear list members,

A few years ago I read an article or a book where it was stated that X
percent (a large number) of children's utterances became more or less
completely unitelligible when the video is taken away. That is, removing
the visible context and action/gesture et cetera and relying only on the
audio signal as a source of interpretation. I can't recall who wrote it
(it *could* have been Eve Clark or Jana Iverson). Neither am I able to
remember whether it was a result of an experimental study of some kind,
or some more sweeping approximation. I also do not remember the age of
the children involved, but it should have been some time during their
second year of life (maybe earlier). Precisely due to all this
uncertainity, I would be most grateful if any of you would be able to
point me to information about these matters. Any publication that deals
with this question is of interest.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Mats Andrén,
PhD student in General Linguistics,
Centre for Languages and Literature/Centre for Cognitive Semiotics,
Lund University,
Sweden