bilingual data collection

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jan 1 15:31:59 UTC 2010

Dear Bill, Kim, Barbara, and Meiyun,

    I share with you the excitement about studies of bilingual acquisition.  I also imagine that the use of the Lena recording system may be of some value in this process.  However, it also seems to me that each of you should consider the possibility of collecting your data in a way that would allow it to be accessible to other researchers.  I think that bilingual researchers such as Virginia Yip and Stephen Matthews, Annick De Houwer, Margaret Deuchar, Fred Genesee, Madalena Cruz-Ferreira, Miquel Serra, Petra Bos, Jeroen Aarsen, Juana Liceras, Raquel Fernandez, Mariko Hayashi, Tania Ionin, Astrid Klammler, Magda Krupa-Kwiatowska, Judit Navracsics, Antje Van Oosten, and Charles Watkins have set a good example for others by sharing their transcripts and, in many cases their audio recording through the CHILDES database system.  The Yip-Matthews corpus is a recent and particularly impressive example of how this can be done and the impact it can have on our understanding of childhood bilingualism.  Perhaps each of you would consider also contributing; your data to the field using this method.

-- Brian MacWhinney, CMU