Digest for info-childes at googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 2 Topics,

Diane Pesco dpesco at education.concordia.ca
Thu Jul 15 13:51:29 UTC 2010

Hello Brian, Thanks for the tip and for keeping the recommendations up to date.  I'll check re: Edirol recorder setting.  It may well be that it was not set on high quality CD ... I borrowed it and perhaps didn't check out all the possibilities. Diane Pesco info-childes at googlegroups.com on July-15-10 at 8:38 AM -0400 wrote: >  [Marker] >Group: [ http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/topics ]Today's >Topic Summaryhttp://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/topics >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#group_thread_0 >]Digest for info-childes at googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic, [3 >Updates] >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#group_thread_1 >]TCP2011 Call For Papers [1 Update] > [Marker]  > Topic: [ http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/t/b8a4891267d96df8 >]Digest for info-childes at googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic, >"Diane Pesco" <dpesco at education.concordia.ca> Jul 14 09:58AM -0400 [ >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#digest_top >Hello, >I've used Edirol but have had equally good success with an inexpensive >(about $100) Panasonic RRUS-570 (or later models, if 570 discontinued, >e.g. 590 stores 2 GB) which also has a zoom. I bought it here in Canada.  >One advantage of the Edirol I used is that you can rename files right on >the recorder; on the Panasonic you cannot. There are other pros and cons, >but my research assistants involved in transcribing report that the >recordings from the Panasonic are better! You'd have to check if you can >transfer files back onto the recorder; I suspect so but never tried. >Diane Pesco >Brian MacWhinney <macw at cmu.edu> Jul 14 11:18AM -0400 [ >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#digest_top >Dear Diane, >Are you setting the option on the Edirol to record in high quality CD >format? If not, that could make >a big difference. GIven that the RRUS-570 only records in MP3, it would >be remarkable for it to be better >than the Edirol in full CD format.  >Also, I would second Gary's note that the Zoom H2 has very confusing >buttons and controls. >In that regard, the Edirol R-09 (the model I have and which I recommend >at [ http://talkbank.org/da/record.html >]http://talkbank.org/da/record.html) >is much better. Also, as I note at that page, the BossMicro gets good >reviews, but I haven't tested it out myself >yet. >In general, because we continually have discussion of these issues, I try >to keep the information at  >[ http://talkbank.org/da/record.html ]http://talkbank.org/da/record.html >accurate. So far, I haven't found anything in the discussion here so far >to change >what I have there, but this stuff is tricky and I can't test out every >possible device. >--Brian MacWhinney >On Jul 14, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Diane Pesco wrote: >leah gedalyovich <leah.gedalyovich at gmail.com> Jul 15 11:19AM +0300 [ >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#digest_top >Dear all >We are looking at doing acoustic analyses of the children's recording so >were planning to go for a head microphone in order to get more accurate >measures, e.g. of loudness. Any comments? >Thanx >Leah Gedalyovich >Hedim Audiological Services >--  >Leah R. Paltiel-Gedalyovich  >Tel/Fax   0775060053 >Mobile   0527204631 >[Marker]  > Topic: [ http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/t/7cc34efc8eb8fe5e >]TCP2011 Call For Papers >"Kei Nakamura" <kei at aya.yale.edu> Jul 15 10:02AM +0900 [ >fcp://@education.concordia.ca,%231010696/MailBox/0101e664-000f6c08#digest_top >The Institute of Cultural and Linguistic Studies at Keio University will >be holding the 12th Tokyo Conference on Psycholinguistics(TCP 2011) >on March 11 and 12, 2011. >The invited speakers are Dr. Jeffrey Lidz, University of Maryland >and Dr. Hisatsugu Kitahara, Keio University. >We encourage you to submit abstracts for oral presentations and poster >presentations. >For details, visit our web site: >[ http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp/tcp/ ]http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp/tcp/ ><Call for Papers> >The 12th Tokyo Conference on Psycholinguistics >[ http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp ]http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp >Keio University, Mita, Tokyo >March 11 and 12, 2011 >THE TOKYO CONFERENCE ON PSYCHOLINGUISTICS welcomes papers that represent >any  >scientific endeavor that addresses itself to "Plato s Problem" concerning  >language acquisition: "How we can gain a rich linguistic system given our  >fragmentary and impoverished experience?" Its scope thus includes >linguistic  >theory (phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics), L1 and L2 >acquisition,  >language processing, and the neuroscience of language, among other topics. >We believe that there are some types of studies which are suitable for >oral  >presentations, and others, which are suitable for poster presentations. >We  >would like to accept both types of studies at the Conference. The time >for  >an oral presentation will be 20 minutes with a 10 minute discussion >period  >(a total of 30 minutes). There is the possibility that some papers of  >outstanding quality will be given longer time slots (i.e., a 30 minute  >presentation with a 15 minute discussion period). Furthermore, the space  >allotted to a poster presentation will be 90 cm (width) x 180 cm (length). >The guidelines for the abstract submission are as follows. >Submissions that do not meet the guidelines will be rejected without >review. >1. Only e-mail submissions will be accepted. >2. You may submit at most one single (sole-authored) paper and two joint  >(co- authored) papers. >Namely you may submit any of the following: >a. one sole-authored paper >b. one sole-authored paper and one co-authored paper >c. one sole-authored paper and two co-authored papers >d. one co-authored paper >e. two co-authored papers >3. The abstract must be received by November 30, 2010 by 11:59 pm JST  >(Japan Standard Time) via e-mail to: tcpabst2011 at otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp. >This  >address will be effective from October 1 to November 30, 2010. Late  >submissions will not be accepted. Notification of receipt will be >e-mailed  >to the first author shortly after receipt. >4. The subject of the e-mail should be "abstract". >5. The body of the e-mail should include: >a) the author information (name, affiliation, mailing address, e-mail  >address, and telephone number; If your paper has multiple authors, >provide  >information regarding all of the co-authors. And, if you are in Japan, >add  >kanji where relevant.), >b) the type of presentation (Your choice will not be revealed to the  >reviewers, and thus will not influence the review process.), >A) Oral >B) Poster >C) Either Poster or Oral >c) the title of paper, >d) the language(s) which you are focusing on in your paper, >e) the field(s) which your abstract involves (e.g, Morphology, Phonetics,  >Phonology, Semantics, Syntax, Pragmatics, L1 acquisition, L2 acquisition,  >Language Processing, Neuroscience of Language, and so on), and >f) 3 keywords/phrases that best describe your paper. >6. A PDF file of your abstract in English should be attached to the >e-mail.  >Document files (e.g., MS Word format) cannot be accepted. If you have any  >problems in applying by e-mail with a PDF file attachment, do not >hesitate  >to contact us. (The abstract, if accepted, will be photocopied to be  >included in the conference handbook and be placed on the TCP website.) >Format the files of your abstracts as follows (including bibliography): >a) The maximum length is 2 pages. >b) A4 paper size >c) Single-spaced >d) The font size should be 12 point. For any fonts used, a font file >should  >be attached. >e) Do not add page numbers. >f) The top margin of the first page must be more than 30mm. >g) The other margins must be more than 18mm. >h )Do not put your name on your abstract (The abstract reviews will be anonymous.). >I) Put the title in the center of the top of the first page. >7. Please note that you cannot revise your abstract once it has been  >submitted. >We will notify you of the results of our review process via e-mail by  >January 12, 2011 at the latest. Those who are accepted as speakers will >be  >requested to reply within several days if they are willing to present >their  >papers at TCP 2011. Please let us know if you plan to be away from e-mail >in  >early January. >In addition, we are planning to publish a volume of the conference  >proceedings. If your abstract is accepted, we will inform you of the >details  >regarding this matter later. Most likely, you will be asked to e-mail us  >your paper as a MS Word and a PDF file attachment by mid-May 2011. >Unfortunately, TCP has no funds for financial assistance. Participants >are  >expected to make their own travel arrangements. >For further information, contact: >Yukio Otsu (Director), Institute of Cultural and Linguistic Studies, Keio  >University, >2-15-45 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan >------------------------------------------------------- >--  >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >"Info-CHILDES" group. >To post to this group, send email to info-childes at googlegroups.com. >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >info-childes+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com. >For more options, visit this group at >http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes?hl=en.