MLU using clauses?

Stefka H. Marinova-Todd marinova at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 21 21:45:19 UTC 2010

Hi Yuuko,

I am not sure how to answer your specific question, since I have not
done this type of analysis, and I am not that familiar with CLAN.
However, I am wondering, how did you transcribe the narratives, did you
put each clause on a new line?  If so, then simply doing the freq
command which excludes the filler and CS words, you should get the
number of clauses you are looking for.  Basically, what is your unit of
analysis?

Anyway, do let me know if you get some helpful advice from the group.
Thanks,
Stefka

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:00 -0700, "yuchikoshi at ucdavis.edu"
<yt94123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to count MLU using clauses as units, but not
> counting code-switched words or fillers.
>
> I put in @s for all code-switched words and @i for all fillers.
>
> When I do freq  +t*CHI -s"<@s>" -s"<@i>" filename*.cha
> I get the type/token for all words minus the code-switched words and
> fillers.
>
> However, when I do: mlu -c"[^c]" filename.cha
> it counts my code-switched sentences as extra utterances.
>
> Can someone tell me the command to count MLU using clauses as units,
> but not counting code-switched words or fillers?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Yuuko Uchikoshi

Stefka H. Marinova-Todd, Assistant Professor
School of Audiology and Speech Sciences
University of British Columbia
2177 Wesbrook Mall, Friedman 427
Vancouver, B.C., CANADA V6T 1Z3