Your Baby Can Read....Research?

James Morgan James_Morgan at brown.edu
Tue Mar 2 23:05:01 UTC 2010

Hi Liz,

I hope that you will also follow the wise advice to enjoy your baby and not
get too anxious about whether she is meeting artificial developmental
deadlines. You daughter is 16 months old and using one-word utterances -
that is well within the norms. I remember that when my own daughter was 19
months, she had a total vocabulary of four words: mama, dada, wawa ("dog")
and yaya ("doll"). The average productive vocabulary size at that age is
about 80, so we were starting to get a bit worried about her. For no good
reason, as it turned out. She soon started talking much more and using
sentences, not just one word at a time. After I took her for her check up
just before her second birthday, on the way out to the car, she said to me
"Dad, you know what I like about going to the doctor's office is getting to
play with all the toys in the waiting room." Quite a sentence! She is now a
highly verbal young adult.

Children follow different developmental pathways. I suspect that trying to
force any child down any pre-planned route is never optimal.

Best,
   Jim Morgan