Use of baby signs in children acquiring sign language

adele abrahamsen aaabrahamsen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 02:43:27 UTC 2010

Hello, Laura (and others following this thread), here's another perspective.
Focusing on the type of input parents make available to infants, ASL is, as
you say, quite different than referential gestures ("baby signs"). But if
you examine what the infants themselves produce, for the first several
months the similarities are more striking than the differences. In a 2000
book chapter, I compared infant production data from two studies: Folven and
Bonvillian's 1991 study of hearing babies provided with ASL from birth (plus
gestures, presumably, and varying amounts of spoken English) and Goodwin and
Acredolo's 1993 study of hearing babies for whom parents deliberately
enhanced their use of referential gestures to accompany some of their spoken
English words beginning near 11 months of age.

Focusing just on number of forms (ASL signs or referential gestures), there
was a massive difference in what was provided, but no detectable difference
in age at first manual form meeting symbolic criteria (~12 mo). The first
symbolic spoken word appeared at the same age in both groups (~12 mo). With
symbolic criteria not applied, the first ASL sign was ~8 mo and the tenth
form was attained at 13.5 mo for ASL, 14.1 mo for referential gestures, and
13.3 mo for the latter group's spoken words.  By the end of each study, the
number of manual forms was (only) two to three times as high for the ASL
learners (e.g., median of 31 forms at an estimated average age of 17.4 mo)
as for babies with enhanced exposure to referential gestures (e.g., median
of 16.5 at an average age a bit above 20 mo.).

An initial interpretation is that the early forms for both groups are quite
similar not only in their onset but also in their developmental role -- an
enhancement of the usually more limited, naturally occurring symbolic
gestures. For the ASL learners these morph a few months later into a sign
lexicon and for the other babies declines as they acquire a larger lexicon
of spoken words. The main caveat is that the ASL learners should also be
acquiring phonological knowledge throughout and comprehension of ASL syntax
later in this period, setting them apart in these respects from the others.

Fine-grained longitudinal study of the individual manual forms used by ASL
learners and their parents at 8-24 months would be invaluable. I'd venture
that if it turned out that these parents are like those of Acredolo and
Goodwyn's earliest families (who did not deliberately enhance their
gesturing but naturally arrived at an average of 4 or 5 referential gestures
used symbolically by the babies), in addition to ASL they would be seen to
use a few idiosyncratic forms that get picked up by their babies but later
fall away. From the baby's perspective all the forms could be picked up
initially as vehicles for symbolic gesturing, and the ASL signs would also
offer the opportunity to extract aspects of ASL phonology and syntax.

See Abrahamsen, A. (2000). Explorations of enhanced gestural input to
children in the bimodal
period.<http://crl.ucsd.edu/%7Eadele/publications/abrahamsen_enhancedgesture.pdf>In
K. Emmorey and H. Lane (Eds.),
*The signs of language revisited: An anthology to honor Ursula Bellugi and
Edward Klima* (pp. 357-399). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. (And please note: I
excluded early talkers from G&A's sample and then adjusted the raw data from
each study to make them as comparable as possible. On certain vocabulary
measures there also was comparable data from two of the babies in my own
Toddler Sign Program - similar in important respects to the baby signing
situation but using forms borrowed from ASL rather than invented forms. The
relation between number of forms and age was similar.)

Adele Abrahamsen
Project Scientist
Center for Research in Language
University of California, San Diego