synonyms in a bilingual child's lexicon

Marilyn Vihman mv509 at york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 11:14:01 UTC 2010

Dear Teresa,

I attempted to address the question of when synonyms come in for a
bilingual child in my 1985 paper, Language differentiation of a
bilingual child (JChLg), although it was widely misinterpreted as an
endorsement of the 'unitary' or 'fused representation' hypothesis of
Volterra & Taeschner, 1978. In fact, I found that my son began to
match words in one language with corresponding words in the other very
early on (from about his 8th word, as I recall); the same can be seen
in Deuchar & Quay's diary study (2000, OUP).

My paper implied, by its title and some of the discussion, that a
bilingual child may not be 'differentiating' his two languages, even
though I did try to show that the vocabularies were overlapping to a
degree, not made up of complementary words/meanings. At least since
Mehler et al. 1989 I realise that on the basis of prosody alone it is
unlikely that a bilingual child would not in some sense have the
languages marked as separate, although the issue of 'separate systems'
- much discussed and still disputed in the literature (cf. Vihman
2002, 'Getting started without a system', Intl. J of BIling) - is
another issue.

I hope that's helpful!

-marilyn