dominant language

Johanne Paradis johanne.paradis at ualberta.ca
Thu Mar 25 15:31:10 UTC 2010

Dear Maja

I have used some different combinations of measures for determining language dominance in bilingual children.  Here is a list of papers where myself and my colleagues have employed these combinations.  Essentially, I believe the best way to determine the dominant - more proficient - language is by using measures from more than one linguistic domain -  at least one vocabulary and one morphosyntax measure.

Regards,
Johanne

Foroodi Nejad, F., & Paradis, J. (2009). Crosslinguistic transfer in the acquisition of compound words in Farsi-English bilinguals. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 12, 411-427.

Paradis, J. & Nicoladis, E. (2007). The influence of dominance and sociolinguistic context on bilingual preschoolers’ language choice.  The International Journal of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education, 10, 1-21.

Paradis, J., Crago, M., Genesee, F. & Rice, M. (2003).  Bilingual children with specific language impairment:  How do they compare with their monolingual peers?  Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research,46, 1-15.

Genesee, F., Nicoladis, E. & Paradis, J. (1995).  Language differentiation in early bilingual development.  Journal of Child Language, 22,  611-631.

On 2010-03-25, at 8:40 AM, Maja Roch wrote:

> Hello,
> is anybody familiar with some possible criteria to be adopted for
> establishing a dominant language of a bilingual child?
> Best regards,
> Maja Roch

**********************************
Johanne Paradis