dominant language

Darin xequalsfun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 01:36:10 UTC 2010

Hello Maja -

In addition to the previous suggestions, you might also consider
asking them what they feel most comfortable with (depending, of
course, on their age).  I agree that "dominance" may not be as clear
cut as it seems, especially for children whose school language is
different from their home language.  They may be more comfortable with
certain vocabulary, tasks, contexts, etc. in one language over
another, regardless of which one may appear to be dominant.

- Darin Woolpert
SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program
Language and Communicative Disorders