gosh, blush, blush

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Mar 30 16:49:51 UTC 2010

Dear Info-CHILDES,

    Thanks for all the congratulations on the one million mark.   But,  it is not really Leonid and I who should be congratulated, but rather the entire field of child language research for (1) its continued and growing commitment to data-sharing, (2) its willingness and interest in exploring new methods in transcription, media linkage, and corpus analysis, and (3) its growing commitment to basing replicable theoretical analyses on openly shared data.  And I believe that we, as a field, should also recognize our indebtedness to the computer scientists who have built the programs and internet interfaces upon which we increasingly rely, as well as to ongoing input  from areas as diverse as speech science, computational linguistics, network modeling, linguistic theory, statistics, and conversation analysis.
   My hope is that people in child language can communicate to their colleagues in closely-allied areas such as second language learning, aphasiology, sociolinguistics, and classroom discourse, the excitement and scientific progress that can arise through this type of increased commitment to data-sharing.

-- Brian MacWhinney