cheap headset microphones for student voice recording

chrisletts chris.letts at ncl.ac.uk
Thu May 6 08:59:50 UTC 2010

In our teaching lab we have a number of PC's used by students to
record and analyse speech as part of their course, for example
spectrograms etc.

We need to replace the old equipment, but I'm struggling to find a
suitable, reasonably priced headset for this purpose. One of my
problems is that all the headsets that might otherwise be OK have
'noise cancelling' microphones, and my guess is that may affect the
sound spectrum.

I'd be interested to hear recommendations, and if anyone uses a noise-
cancelling mike, does it in fact affect the sound spectrum for voice
recordings ??