Flip video

Nan Ratner nratner at hesp.umd.edu
Sat May 29 14:21:22 UTC 2010

We have been using FLIP and another similar project to BACK UP, not
serve as primary data collection, for an ongoing project observing
parent-child play. We figured that devices like that produce a pretty
easy record for initial transcription pass. The thing to keep in mind is
that perversely, the HD formats, which are the most common kind, produce
files that are TOO BIG to cut to CD easily for CHAT transcription. As
FLIP went increasingly HD, we found a product by RCA (Small Wonder) that
we could get that produces acceptably sized files with acceptable video
quality. It is not the most durable device for constant lab use,
though.
Nan

Nan Bernstein Ratner, Professor and Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
0100 Lefrak Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
nratner at hesp.umd.edu
http://www.bsos.umd.edu/hesp/facultyStaff/ratnern.htm
301-405-4213
301-314-2023 (fax)

>>> Aliyah MORGENSTERN <aliyah.morgenstern at gmail.com> 5/29/2010 3:04 AM

Dear Susan,
Thanks to Brian and his team, you have some useful information on
talkbank:
http://www.talkbank.org/dv/
We are still a bit prehistoric here, we bought very good mini dv
equipment and haven't changed it yet but talkbank is up to date...
best,
Aliyah MORGENSTERN

Professeur de linguistique
Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3