ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR POSTERS: Variation in first and second language acquisition: comparative perspectives

Anne Fernald afernald at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 22 20:04:40 UTC 2010

Dear Edy,

Thanks for sending this announcement.   I would have loved to submit
an abstract for a talk presenting new work  on how variation in early
language processing relates to lexical development, and is also
strongly linked to variability in early language experience (presented
in the keynote address at BUCLD last year).  As you're probably aware,
there is increasing interest these days in individual differences in
real-time processing skill in adults in relation to variability in
language proficiency, and it's quite likely that the differences we
observe at 18 months are predictive of those later outcomes.  FYI  I'm
attaching a chapter for the book Eve Clark and Inbal Arnon are editing
on variation, as well as an in-press paper that connects this research
to recent findings in adult psycholinguistics and communicative
disorders.

Best wishes,

Anne

On Nov 22, 2010, at 3:39 AM, edy veneziano wrote:

> ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR POSTERS
>
> International Conference
>
> Variation in first and second language acquisition: comparative
> perspectives
>
> Paris, 7-9 June 2011
>
> Université Paris Descartes
>
> Salle du Conseil
>
> 12, rue de l’Ecole de Médecine
>
> 75006 Paris, France
>
> Conference site on internet: http://adyloc2011.sfl.cnrs.fr
>
> Organized by the Research Group ADYLOC (GDR CNRS 3195)
>
> Linguistic systems, oral language and cognition: Acquisition and
> disorders
>
> Coordinator: Maya Hickmann
>

> Variation in language acquisition is a well-known phenomenon that is
> still not well understood. Variation can take many forms: variations
> among individuals,, variations during development, and/or variations
> across languages or language families at comparable ages or in
> comparable learning situations.
>
> The conference has two main goals. The first one is to examine all
> types of variations during language acquisition in order to show
> their implications for our understanding of the acquisition process
> and their use in various contexts. Variation phenomena will be
> examined mainly for the acquisition of oral or signed languages, and
> in its disorders, in relation to other communicative dimensions (for
> example, context, interaction, co-verbal gestures). The second aim
> of the conference will be to stress the usefulness of comparative
> approaches in the study of variations for language acquisition. Such
> perspectives include various types of comparisons, which are
> sometimes combined, among different languages (including within a
> typological perspective), different types of acquisition (first and
> second language acquisition, by the child or by the adult, early or
> late bilingualism, ...), as well as different populations (autism,
> aphasia, SLI…) whose atypical acquisition paths can shed light on
> the development of more typical children and adult learners.
>
> The study of variation in a comparative perspective can address many
> questions debated in language-related research in the cognitive
> sciences: the relative weight of constraints from cognitive and
> linguistic systems, the impact of specific properties of source and/
> or target languages, endogenous processes underlying the acquisition
> path of particular learners, the existence of a critical period for
> language acquisition. Applied research will also be discussed,
> particularly in teaching contexts (teaching first and second
> languages) and in clinical contexts (helping patients with disorders
> in oral language).
>
> Keynote Speakers:
> Clark, Eve (Stanford, USA)
> Lieven, Elena (Manchester, UK & Leipzig, Germany)
> MacWhinney, Brian (Carnegie Mellon, USA)
> Slobin, Dan (Berkeley, USA)
> Tager Flusberg, Helen (Boston, USA)
> Von Stutterheim, Christiane (Heidelberg, Germany)

> [...]

Anne Fernald, Ph.D.
Dept Psychology and
    Program in Human Biology
Stanford University