Information about phonological processes in non-word repetition task

Marshall, Chloe Chloe.Marshall.1 at city.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 09:34:31 UTC 2011

Dear Suzan,

There's been some work on this in British English, for example:

Marshall, C. R. & van der Lely, H. K. J. (2009). Effects of word position and stress on onset cluster production: Evidence from typical development, SLI and dyslexia. Language, 85, 39-57.
Marshall, C. R., Harris, J. & van der Lely, H. K. J. (2003). The nature of phonological representations in children with Grammatical-Specific Language Impairment (G-SLI). In D. Hall, T. Markopoulos, A. Salamoura & S. Skoufaki (eds.) Proceedings of the University of Cambridge First Postgraduate Conference in Language Research, 1, 511-517.
Marshall, C. R., Ebbels, S., Harris, J. & van der Lely, H. K. J. (2002). Investigating the impact of prosodic complexity on the speech of children with Specific Language Impairment. In R. Vermeulen & A. Neeleman, (eds.) UCL Working Papers in Linguistics, 14, 43-68.
GALLON, NICHOLA, JOHN HARRIS and HEATHER VAN DER LELY. 2007. Nonword repetition: An investigation of phonological complexity in children with Grammatical-SLI. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics 21.435-455.

These works focus on syllabic and foot level structure. Interesting, analagous simplification errors occur in non-word repetition in a different modality, in British Sign Language:
Mann, W., Marshall, C. R., Mason, K. & Morgan, G. (2010). The acquisition of sign language: The impact of phonetic complexity on phonology. Language Learning and Development, 6, 60-86.

I'll send you these papers in a separate e-mail, and to anyone else who might be interested.

Best wishes,

Chloe

Dr Chloe Marshall,
Senior Lecturer in Developmental Psychology/ Language Acquisition, and Leverhulme Early Career Fellow,
Department of Language and Communication Science,
City University London

http://www.city.ac.uk/health/about-the-school/academic-departments/language-and-communication-science/our-staff/chloe-marshall