pragmatic bootstrapping

parisa Daftarifard pdaftaryfard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 22:40:53 UTC 2011

Dear Tom,

You Wrote
"YOur eyes don't choose the light that they take in, but they choose to form
extremely complex objects.  How to
connect the object with a sound involves many pre-existing mental
assumptions.  Suppose you associate a word with an object in motion.  Why do
that?  It is not inevitable, it is a mental bias."

I am not against mental assumption but would this explain why a semi blind
person can perceive what a normal person can see but an Autistic child
cannot perceive what a normal child can do as far as pragmatic competence
and language development are concerned.

Best,
Parisa