adult-to-adult conversations in digital format?

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 00:48:17 UTC 2011

The best choice is going to depend a lot on what sort of conversation you are looking
for and what you want to measure.    All the existing spoken English corpora have their own quirky properties and limitations.    Others you should be looking at (beyond what has previously been mentioned):

      Switchboard:   has heavy-duty syntax markup
      Fisher:   big.    supposed to be more natural than Switchboard.
      Santa Barbara corpus of spoken American English:  diverse.   I think they tried to
            capture a range of social situations, e.g. arguments, sermons, family gatherings...
      Buckeye:   one person doing most of the talking in each conversation, but about
            the only sizeable corpus phonetically transcribed.   More natural than Switchboard.
      Map Task:  task-based conversation, which might be a lot more comparable to
            some of the kid data

I don't think there is one such thing as a "normal" conversation.    The task-based
chatter of several kids playing a first-person shooter game doesn't sound even
remotely like the same kids playing politely in their school classroom.    And neither
sounds like a family dinner or a phone conversation.       So it seems important to
compare conversations of a closely similar type to get a clear comparison between
adult-child, child-child, and/or adult-adult data.

Margaret Fleck (Illinois)