Screen-Free Week

Mohinish mohinish.s at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:22:07 UTC 2011

Hi,
I'm wondering - do children do this willingly? Or are they forced by
their parents and other elders? Who makes the individual decisions to
turn of the tellys? The children or their parents/teachers? (I'm
guessing the latter).

I'm not certain if such blanket calls for turning off all TVs is fair
to the children who perhaps watch just one or two favorite shows a
day, but are forced to give that up. It's like if there were an
alcohol-free day - which is all well and good, and I'm sure there
might be social drinkers who would gladly stand in support. But of
course, it will be these social drinkers making the decision, not
having the decision made for them by their seniors.

Kids have it hard enough with everyone pushing their own agendas onto
them; must the solution to the problems that TV creates be to force
those children who are not affected to get their TVs, computers and
consoles turned off?

I hope at least that the final decision in each case is left to the
children. It would be interesting to see the statistics. Perhaps we
would all be pleasantly surprised :)

Mohinish