early reading and school performance

Susan Linn susan at commercialfreechildhood.org
Tue Feb 15 22:14:48 UTC 2011

The NY Times today had an article on the pressure on preschools to teach reading.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/nyregion/15reading.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
It mentions that there are studies showing that there are no links between early reading and later intelligence.

 My organization, CCFC, is investigating marketing claims made by Your Baby Can Read.  As many of you probably know, YBCR is a package of videos and flashcards claiming to teach infants to read.  Further, YBCR claims that it acts during a "short window of opportunity."  The advertisements claim that by teaching your child to read during infancy, YBCR will allow her to outperform her peers in school and in life.

We have quotes from experts mentioning studies that refute these claims, but we can't find the studies.  If anyone knows about studies about early reading and its impact on school performance I'm wondering if you can point me to them.  I have a review of the literature by Olson from 2006.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan Linn, Ed.D., is Director of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood and Instructor in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School

Contact Information:
CCFC
Non-Profit Center
89 South Street, Suite 403