Purpose of CHILDES?

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:28:30 UTC 2011

Dear InfoChildes and Orangeman,

Just another 2-cents:

In thinking of how researchers use the database, I am reminded of the
letters many of us wrote when the funding was up for renewal.  Numbers of
themspoke directly to David's question, "What would people do if there were
no CHILDES?"  At one point, Brian put them in one document.  It's probably
more than he needs to read, but perhaps they are available, at least in an
archive of the listserv. Are they?

Another use of the database is for teaching, not just in classes, but to
bring research assistants up to speed before turning them loose on your own
data.

Cheers,

Happy 1/1/11 and the subsequent 364 days to everyone.
Barbara
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Depts of Linguistics & Communication Disorders
RAB, 70 Butterfield Terrace
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003

Tel: 413-545-5023