Frequency and AoA norms

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Fri Jul 15 15:34:34 UTC 2011

I agree completely with Robin's first point, the lack of validity for adult
judgements which are *retrospective* and not tied to specific, recent
experiences.
I have to disagree on the second point, about age norms derived from the
CDI. These judgements are made with respect to a *concurrent* situation with
respect to a specific child. The parent is not making a judgement of age of
acquisition; simply a yes/no judgement about their own child. The AoA comes
from aggregating across parents.
There is pretty good agreement between CDI norms and information derived
from CHILDES transcripts (not that one would expect perfect agreement;
transcripts often miss low-frequency words). And Goodman et al (2008) showed
substantial correlation between CDI norms for words and frequency of use in
parental input (at least  *within* categories).
Philip Dale

  _____