Standardized scores for IPSyn?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 3 17:59:07 UTC 2011

Bruno,

   Scarborough's original paper was based on samples from 48 children.  Some of her tables are based on a longitudinal sample of 15 children.  She reports correlations with age and MLU and also shows that IPSyn scores for language-delayed children are higher than for controls.  However, there was never, as far as I know, an attempt to standardize the test.  In part, this may be because many of the items on the test involve a series of fairly tricky decisions and exclusions.  Now that we have developed an automated version of IPSyn, it seems to me that it would be a good first step to run it across data in CHILDES to see whether changes in some of these tricky scoring rules make a difference and also to consider whether adding additional features or items could improve correlations with age or other scores.  We are working on a method for doing this semi-automatically.  Personally, I would find this more valuable than an attempt to standardize.  But maybe others would disagree.  By the way, there is a literature of about 30 articles that use the IPSyn and those may have additional clues.

-- Brian MacWhinney