Pragmatics of interrogtaives

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:01:17 UTC 2011

Assuming that the primary goal is to comparison performance of the various
age groups (and perhaps gender within age group), it can be useful to think
about cell size. If one-year age grouping is proposed, and gender within
age, for 3-7 year olds that would be 10 cells. To estimate means and
variances, a very rough rule of thumb would be about 25-30 subjects per
cell, or 250-300 total. More would be needed if the primary goal was to
identify low-performers, because then you're not just estimating the mean,
but values for extreme cutoffs (lowest 10%, say).

But I am absolutely mystified why an ethics committee should ask you to
change the age range of the study. That doesn't seem any of their business.

Philip S. Dale, Professor and Chair
Speech & Hearing Sciences
University of New Mexico

  _____