pragmatic bootstrapping

parisa Daftarifard pdaftaryfard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:22:36 UTC 2011

Dear Tom, you wrote
"That means a simultaneous syntactic and pragmatic information.  "
I think pragmatic information should be followed by syntactic. babies learn
pragmatics well sooner than syntax when they respond their parents smile
with smile. What Chomsky states, I believe, is that syntactic bootstrapping
is what actually happened through triggering the UG system, not pragmatic
one. I mean first language learning / acquisition is triggered then other
things happen. I think Anat , please correct me if I am wrong, believes that
pragmatic bootstrapping is the starting point for the kids?

Autistic children have problem in processing pragmatics and have language
delay. through ABA program what they learn, besides many things, even in
high functioning autism, is how to respond different discourses and learn to
respond pragmatically. Some of them, when learn to be pragmatic, turn into
creative language user.

Best,
Parisa