a question about multilingual babies

Barbara Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Mon May 9 01:06:07 UTC 2011

Dear Tamar and Yves,

I, too, was going to question on what basis the earlier correspondent
drew her or his conclusion.
I remember hearing it said that "the plural of 'anecdote' is not
'evidence.'" (Perhaps someone can give us the sources of that quote,
or a correction.)

Meanwhile, I am thrilled to hear that you have choices (!) about which
language or languages you can find in nurseries for your boy.
In making your decision, you should consider which languages your son
will have authentic sustained interactions in.
When the need to learn four languages is strong, young children seem
to be able to do it, but it gets a little difficult for parents to
arrange enough exposure to all four languages at once.

  There's not one right answer. And the answer you decide on now may
be best for now, and you will want to change it later.  If you're
thinking that your husband may get less opportunity to be with the
child, perhaps it make sense to reinforce his mother tongue at the
nursery if that is important to him.  For work on the emotional
aspects of bilingualism, you might look for work by Anna Pavlenko.

Best wishes,
Barbara Pearson
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate, Depts of Linguistics and   Communication Disorders
c/o 226 South College
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA 01003

bpearson at research.umass.edu